Piazza Maggiore is a massive public square located in the heart of Bologna, Italy. Regarded as one of the most picturesque squares in Italy, it is a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. The square is surrounded by historic buildings, including the Palazzo del Podestà, Palazzo dei Banchi, and the Basilica di San Petronio.
The piazza is also home to the famous statue of Neptune, which stands in the center of the square. The square is a popular spot for outdoor events, festivals, and concerts and is also home to several cafes and restaurants where visitors can enjoy a meal or drink while taking in the sights and sounds of the square.
How to explore Piazza Maggiore?
- Visit the Basilica di San Petronio, an impressive church that is one of the largest in the world. It boasts beautiful frescoes and intricate architecture.
- The statue of Neptune is one of the most iconic landmarks in Piazza Maggiore to view. It was created in the 16th century and stood with poise, with a height of over 15 feet tall.
- Explore the Palazzo del Podestà, a medieval palace with architectural excellence that was once the home of the city's governors and is now open to the public to explore.
- Piazza Maggiore is a great place to take a leisurely stroll and admire the beautiful historic buildings that surround it.
- The square is home to several cafes and restaurants where you can enjoy a coffee or a meal while taking in the sights and sounds of the square.
- Piazza Maggiore is a popular spot for outdoor events, festivals, and concerts. Check the local events calendar to see if anything is happening during your visit to attend.
- Visit the Palazzo dei Banchi, a beautiful palace once home to the city's bankers and merchants. It is now open to the public to explore.
- There are several guided tours available that will take you around Piazza Maggiore and the surrounding area, giving you an in-depth look at the history and architecture of the square.